Roughly 27 years ago in the regional South Australian town of Murray Bridge a small shop popped up seemingly out of nowhere. Ahead of its time this shop introduced the tools and resources to help aspiring eco-warriors of the time to walk the journey of reduce, reuse and recycle.Read full history
The criteria we use to choose our products:
- Is it cruelty free/vegan?
- Is it sustainably sourced?
- Does it come with zero waste packaging? or is it plastic free, glass, bamboo, cardboard, metal
- Is it locally sourced? If not, what is the country of origin and how far does it have to travel to get to us?
- Is it ethically made?
- Is it interesting and/or unique?
- Is it reusable, and will it replace single use items?
- Is it beneficial for the environment?
- Is it made from recycled materials?
- Can it be easily recycled?
- Does the manufacturer/supplier have an environmental policy?
- Does the supply chain have a low environmental impact?
Our products are carefully selected to ensure they strictly support the sustainable use of our earth’s resources while possessing quality and style for today’s modern living.
Ecolateral has been serving the environmental community since 1994, making it Australia’s longest running retailers specifically devoted to the supply of good quality, eco-friendly, sustainable products. Through our social media and mailing list we also provide our customers with up-to-date, factual information and services that will assist their individual and cooperative efforts to take greater care of our planet.
Our overriding reason for being is to educate, inspire and motivate this and future generations to care for the world we live in. We exist to deliver alternative earth friendly products and methods that can be incorporated into the daily lives of our customers without compromising their desire for a comfortable and enjoyable lifestyle.
We try and match products to these criteria wherever possible. In many cases products will fit many, but not all of the criteria. For instance, Onya produce bags are made from plastic however that plastic is recycled drink bottles and is recyclable. They are reusable, replace single use plastic produce bags, and are packaged in recycled cardboard packaging.
The environmental impact of our business operations is in the forefront of our mind. Retail is traditionally a resource heavy industry, from the manufacturing of goods, to their transport, packing and back-office support. We are consistently reviewing our systems and processes to further reduce our carbon footprint and increase our environmental sustainability.