Ecolateral has been serving the environmental community since 1996, making it Australia’s longest running retailers specifically devoted to the supply of good quality, eco-friendly, sustainable products. Through our social media and mailing list we also provide our customers with up-to-date, factual information and services that will assist their individual and cooperative efforts to take greater care of our planet.
Our overriding reason for being is to educate, inspire and motivate as many people as possible to care for the world we live in. We exist to deliver alternative earth friendly products and methods that can be incorporated into the daily lives of our customers without compromising their desire for a comfortable and enjoyable lifestyle.
We try and match products to these criteria wherever possible. In many cases products will fit many, but not all of the criteria. For instance, Onya produce bags are made from plastic however that plastic is recycled drink bottles and is recyclable. They are reusable, replace single use plastic produce bags, and are packaged in recycled cardboard packaging.
The environmental impact of our business operations is in the forefront of our mind. Retail is traditionally a resource heavy industry, from the manufacturing of goods, to their transport, packing and back-office support. We are consistently reviewing our systems and processes to further reduce our carbon footprint and increase our environmental sustainability.
The environmental impact of our business operations is in the forefront of our mind. Retail is a resource heavy industry, from the manufacturing of goods, to their transport, packing and back-office support. We are consistently reviewing our systems and processes to further reduce our carbon footprint and increase our environmental sustainability.
- We regularly talk with our suppliers and manufacturers to ensure the environmental impact of our supply chain continues to reduce. Examples of this are discussing with the suppliers of skincare/body products about how we can offer a container return/refill option. We have also been actively encouraging them to look at alternatives to plastic containers, and to find alternatives to bubble wrap and plastic packing tape for freight packaging.
- Our website orders are shipped either in recycled cardboard boxes sealed with paper tape, or in fully compostable post satchels. Packing slips are printed on 100% recycled paper.
- In most cases our online order parcels are shipped carbon neutral with Australia Post.
- We’ve partnered with Terracycle, and actively recycle multiple waste streams with the byproduct of our business getting diverted to Redcycle and EastWaste through their recycling programs.
- We use 100% carbon neutral, and renewable energy and are recognised by the Australian Government GreenPower initiative
- Any lighting we do have to leave on after-hours is on a timer switch and turns off by 11pm.
- Our company cars are both Plug-in hybrid electric cars. Our staff (being the earth minded hippies they are) ALL drive small, fuel efficient cars. Our CEO even rides a motorbike to reduce her carbon footprint.
- Any commercial printing we get done (eg discount vouchers for special events) is printed on 100% post consumer recycled paper/card using vegetable based inks.
- Having said that, we are working towards the goal of being paperless.
- Our bulk refill containers get repurposed or recycled at end-of-life.
- We compost with a bokashi composting system in our staff room.
- All business purchase decisions are measured against our product buying criteria.
B Corp Certification
In September 2019 we began the challenging journey of becoming B Corp Certified. The B Corp philosophy of using business as a force for good resonates strongly with us. Don’t know what B Corporations are? Read more here
Can you think of anything else we could be doing? Let us know